THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY

Every now and then, people ask

what bird is that? Post me

doubtful snapshots on their phone –

blurred wings, a beak in shrubbery.

 

I puzzle out the glimpses shown:

to earn a small repute

as someone who may know

is year on year a guessing game.

 

My neck craned upward, seeking clues,

hush-stepped I pause pursuit

of feathered form before

song steals away, the call unnamed.

 

Or – to keep my shadow hidden –

stalk the hedgerow, scramble

through barbed wire. With patience test

a binocular field of view.

 

Or – elbows stiffly propped on knees –

for windy hours on end

I watch where sky meets sea

to mark behaviour, size and shape.

 

When claiming an identity,

note how plumage can mislead –

the only constant traits

are looking and humility.

 

x. 2022

1 comment:

  1. Responding to the prompt of 'the ones who got away', this is - in part - a reworking of a much older poem ('Recognition'), similarly exploring the peculiarities of birdwatching.

    Without being confined to a set pattern, I wanted to harness the power of rhyme - both end-line and enjambed - as far as I could. To do so within tightly controlled regular stanzas required a deal of soulless crafting.

    Which is probably why I warm more to my piece from twenty-plus years ago: it feels more personal and spontaneous. And - should the reader want to compare - comes with an extended commentary ...

    https://markbcassidy.blogspot.com/2011/05/recognition.html

    ReplyDelete