DARKEST HOUR

When I tire of the wellness trade,

chafe at cut-price comfort,

then consent becomes a bomb

 

exploding inward. I would walk alone,

shake off dreary pleasantry.

For discontent must be there

 

even in the streets of heaven.

Beyond 24-hour convenience

night thickens in alleyways –

 

it is the landscape I must tread.

A mask in every pocket,

shadow no longer set by sun.

 

Air cools to its dew-point numbness.

Nose-to-tail the cars stand guard

there’s a tinted windscreen

 

shattered like an asterisk.

I get around these vagrant roads

by cutting corners, taking

 

a straight line always

across the sleepless labyrinth.

Under the pavement, hidden hills

 

and buried water courses.

Striplight flickers through the pupil

of a window. My eye watching.

 

x. 2022
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This was a troublesome beast to wrestle into this shape, where I’m happy (not so say relieved) to leave it. It comes from a prompt – Pablo Neruda’s ‘Walking Around’ [https://allpoetry.com/Walking-Around].

    I wasn’t sure how to respond, other than wanting to use some startling imagery, as Neruda does. The nightwalker is a persona I’ve explored before and was half-conscious of drawing on that sense of transgression and unease. But melodrama aside, I had little notion where exactly I wanted to go.

    It took the input of two workshops [much thanks to the Kevin Higgins’ gang and BSE’s own Poetry Aloud posse] and several tortured drafts to tease out my thinking. Whether it was worth the effort is for the reader to judge!

    ReplyDelete