SHORE THING


Windows ajar, awake to the dark:

a squeal and hiss of braking below.

But I hear the surf’s looped roll

smash mussel shells, pounding

their jagged fragments into sand.


Like spume in the wind, doubt nags my skin,

but does not crystallize.

Instinct, professes Winston, is what matters:

we’re hostage to our genes.

Queasy, I reach for the remote.


Another celebrity channel:

the stink of dead cuttlefish

washed up among plastic bottles,

glass shards and broken chairs.

Night buses jostle a stretch limo.


The mini-bar yawns, and houses tilt

seaward. Here in hotel limbo.

Over a rutted mudstone shelf

flood tide fills extinct footprints,

leaves question marks in pools.


Full English breakfast dawns:

mushrooms grace my plate,

the closed anemones of trodden water.

A cormorant suns its unfurled wings,

cruciform as my upbringing.



v.2003 / ix.2005

No comments:

Post a Comment