THE GREAT BRITISH BUFFALO

In my 'unicorn kingdom'

all creatures shall be sovereign,

whether feral or domestic,

imaginary or real.

For I am crowned with backward horns

and a fuzzy wig between.

 

You will enjoy (and fund)

a tax-light, start-up ecosystem.

Beneath the sway of my tail,

beetles will breed high-growth companies

in the magical – and all too often

unattainable – dung.

 

While I gaze at the vanishing grass

oxpeckers eat my ticks;

may pick fresh wounds to drink the blood.

Unless they pierce my soft belly –

heavy with wealth – I shall not care:

for they have sworn allegiance.

 

Monarch of the swamp,

ruler of these rising waters,

I might not be the overlord

you had hoped for.

Seventy years is quite some age to loiter,

waiting to be anointed.

 


 v. 2012

Dungheap Cockerel July 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment