PICTURE THIS


It is stuff of legend,
this inch-wide ribbon draped
round my neck like a snake
or priestly stole cut short.

When – as maroon festoon –
I leave it trailed across
the plate, I’m sometimes asked
for an explanation.

See the roughly painted
letters: left, right they show.
For we must know which side
in case of amputation.

Look. Here is its measure –
one metre, tube to skin.
Or near as my hands could,
all needle-clumsy, sew.

And, to mark exposure,
a cipher woven in.
No matter what the angle,
it makes your image mine.
 
v. 2020

4 comments:

  1. This grew from a workshop exercise when we were challenged to write about an instrument or tool. As a radiographer, I often refer to my marker ribbon as a 'tool of the trade', so the imagery came readily to mind. Even, regular stanzas are my 'settled style' but the short trimeter lines only developed that way during the drafting process.

    Sharp-eyed fellow radiographers should spot a deliberate error ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of your "chuck outs"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually its my own hand, self-exposed ... don't tell anyone!

      Delete
  3. Memories... and now I have a new one to wear with my decades old (never worn) scrubs. Love the poem

    ReplyDelete