SWIMMING MY AGE


From shock of deep end dive

to a shallow turning

is thirteen, fourteen, or

fifteen strokes depending

on the force of kick applied,

and reach of outstretched glide.

 

Boredom kept at arm’s length,

I am a metronome

counting the span of years.

Voices lose their bearing

between my muffled ears:

all is rippled hubbub.

 

Raising my mouth for air,

shoulders shrug at might-have-beens 

as hands pull back in prayer.

Hips, the source of power,

plunge me forward groundless

through backwash of flashback.

 

Beneath the broken surface,

a bygone shadow play

looked down on, goggle-eyed,

refracts in cobbles of light,

splashing bottom and side

with fluid parallels.

 

Across my face, bubbles

stream the exhaled distance.

I whip legs together

to trim resistance -

a trunked back number, skin deep

in rhythm of reckoning.

 

x. 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment